Sunday, June 16, 2013

omg cilantro i have found a use for you

I have never, ever been able to use an entire bunch of cilantro in one go. But thanks to my wonderful, amazing Lebanese summer roommate, I think I have a solution!

First of all, she's awesome because she's really sweet and I got lucky because sometimes Craigslist people are weird. Second of all, she's awesome because she feeds me. But third of all, she's awesome because while she was feeding me, she showed me an incredibly easy way to use cilantro.

Lebanese Potatoes (and Steak)
Ingredients:
- 1 lb waxy potatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 spring onion stalk or a quarter of an onion
- Minced garlic
- Cubed steak (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper

Recipe:
1. Thoroughly wash potatoes, cilantro, and onions. Defrost meat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Chop potatoes into cubes (about 1 cubic inch, maybe a little smaller)
3. Toss potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Roast potatoes for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a fork can be inserted easily.
5. While roasting the potatoes, cook the steak as desired. We cooked the steak in a pan with some garlic and salt. Set aside.
6. Finely chop the cilantro and onions.
7. Heat a spoon or two of olive oil in a small pan.
8. Cook the cilantro and onions over medium heat, stirring frequently to ensure they don't burn.
9. When the cilantro and onions are well cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
10. Remove the potatoes from the oven when done, add the steak and drizzle the cilantro-onion mixture over the top. Mix well and slide back into the oven.
11. Broil for about 3-5 minutes.
12. Remove, serve, enjoy!

The sharp taste of the cilantro is muted but it provides a nice richness to the dish that I wouldn't have suspected cilantro to be capable of. Plus, cooking down the cilantro reduces the volume significantly, making it easy to use up a lot of it at once. I approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment