Tuesday, June 18, 2013

CSA 2013 Partial Share #2

#deathbylettuce comes early this year. We've been getting heavy, unrelenting rainstorms that have turned the city into a giant concrete lined swimming pool. I suppose it comes as no surprise that the farm has been turned into a muddy mess, with happy heads of lettuce thriving in the relatively cool and damp weather.

I am looking forward to seeing what the fields bring us as they dry out. Also, farm trip at the end of the month!

CSA 2013 Partial Share 2
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 1 head escarole
- 1 head frisee
- 1 bunch spring onions

Winner: Frisee, because I love wilting it ever so slightly and topping it with a fried or poached egg. And I have 2/3 of a carton of cute, brown, free-range eggs in the fridge. I find small colored eggs prettier than the standard jumbo white ones that dominate the supermarket.
Challenge: the pair of lettuce heads. Our newsletter did point out that greens go well in sandwiches, which is true, but only to a point. Lettuce sandwich anyone? You know what would be great with all this lettuce though? Samgyupsal. But there's a BBQ/pool party this weekend and samgyupsal, even disguised in a lettuce leaf bathrobe, is still the temporary enemy. T_T salad it is. Good thing I still have radishes left in the fridge...

Also, I ate a few borage sprouts today and although the flavor is still cucumbery, they've also taken on a distinctly oysterish taste. Kind of threw me off a bit. I'd never really made the connection between cucumbers and oysters up until now, but now I don't understand how I could have missed it. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment