Tuesday, June 11, 2013

CSA 2013 Partial Share #1

Here we go! Official kickoff of my second CSA season :) I signed up for a partial share this year and I'm already feeling veggie envy when I compare my share with the full share. However, I realize a full share would be way, way too much for me, so I'll do my best to be content with my partial share. Besides, I technically have more this year, since I was splitting last year's share in half with my old roommate.

CSA 2013 Partial Share 1
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 1 bunch Easter egg radishes
- 1 chicken*

I think I'll highlight two types of produce per share this year. One that I'm excited to see and one that promises to challenge my culinary skills (or the endurance of my taste buds...remember all the carrot tops last year? ugh.)

Winner: Radishes, though this is hardly a fair comparison.
Challenge: Cilantro. No one is surprised.

I flipped back to my CSA Share 1 post from last year and it's kind of funny looking back. It makes me glad I'm documenting my little escapades. I got lost, it was raining, and I was mildly horrified when some lady found a bug stowaway hiding in the produce.

This year's share and last year's share are similar (lettuce, radishes, spring onions, cilantro), though this year is starting out a lot lighter in terms of volume and variety (no kale yet :/). I think it's because we had cold weather so late into the spring. Perfectly fine by me, as I'm sure the rest of the season will be fantastic.

It should be pretty easy to use up this week's share. The lettuce and radishes will make for a nice salad, especially if I supplement them with some chicken. The spring onions can chill in the fridge I guess. Maybe I can make cilantro, radish top, and onion omelettes with some Wisconsin cheese grated over the top? I think I have some frozen sausage too. Actually, that doesn't sound half bad. I'll invite the girls over for brunch this weekend :)

On a side note, my window box got a little crowded, so I thinned out the seedlings last night. They were choking each other to death, but it was still hard to uproot so many of my little babies T_T For the record, baby borage leaves really do taste like cucumbers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the basil, but I can't tell which of the sproutlings are basil and which are parsley. I have my suspicions, but for now, they remain unconfirmed. I suppose I could just google it, but where's the fun in that?! Stay tuned for more sprout updates.

*Poultry share will be delivered every odd week plus one extra on the last week (total of 12 birds).

No comments:

Post a Comment