Friday, January 18, 2013

CSA Share #21

Good thing CSA's are seasonal up here in the Northeast. I truly have no idea how regular bloggers can maintain their steady stream of output for our enjoyment and consumption.

Hurricane Sandy hit NYC right after my last post and in the flurry of trying to regain some sense of normalcy after the storm, I fell out of the habit of posting CSA updates. We lost power and steam in my neighborhood for about 4-5 days, which meant pitch-black darkness after the sun set, no hot water, and freezing temperatures inside. Fortunately, our gas was still working, so we were able to use a lighter to start the stove and boil a bit of hot water for washing our faces or for some tea, to keep us warm and lift our spirits a bit. It was like urban camping. Eerie and not something I want to experience again, if I can help it. Lower Manhattan looked like a post-apocalyptic world. Bizarre.

Grateful that I did not have to endure anything worse than this though. Truly a tragedy that people are still struggling to recover from. My heart goes out to all those who were affected and I hope the communities that were hardest hit will continue to draw strength from each other and lean on the rest of us as they rebuild their lives.

Anyways, it's well into winter here in NY and we've been hopping on and off the weather rollercoaster for the last week. One day it's 50 degrees and positively balmy and the next day, it's back to freezing temperatures. While I anxiously wait for the CSA season to start again, I'll catch up on my backlog of CSA posts.

CSA Share #21
1 bunch Tuscan kale
1 acorn squash
1lb yellow onions
1 bunch beets
6.5 oz spinach
5 oz salad mix
1 bunch cilantro

To be honest, because I picked up the share in the middle of the blackout, I straight up just told the coordinator for that week that I had no refrigeration, and could I please swap out the perishables for the hardier vegetables in the share? A lot of people hadn't showed up to retrieve their shares that week, so there was quite a bit of surplus. The coordinator took one look at my sad little face and the mountains of unclaimed vegetables and graciously encouraged me to swap out as much of my greens for squash and onions as I could manage.

So...no weekly roundup for this share, but a very heartfelt thank you to the wonderful lady who let me swap out my vegetables :)

Side note: The subways were still down, so I had to walk home with my cache of produce. On top of the other minor indignities I'd endured, this was just one more, but it made me truly grateful for the progress we've made in the last century or two. I have no idea how the Pilgrims or pioneers or even the Koreans after the war managed to eke out a daily existence. Much respect, and I am very aware that if the zombie apocalypse ever happened, I'd probably die of starvation before the zombies even got a chance to reach me. Ha.

Extra side note: We lost all our perishables in the freezer and fridge :/ But on the bright side, we didn't have much in there to begin with. And even better yet, that disgusting carrot top soup? Yup. It was one of the casualties of Hurricane Sandy. I don't have to eat carrot tops until next summer yay!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment