Saturday, June 23, 2012

Using up CSA Share #2

Wow. I am so full of vegetables, I think I'm going to pop...

So this week has been crazy work-wise, and I don't think I'll have much time to do anything this weekend either, given that I'm going to the farm all day tomorrow, have to finish up a lot of work, and also still need to pack (eek!). Which meant I had to take care of my CSA share for the week...today.

If you recall, this week's share consisted of:
- spring onions
- 1 head of bok choy
- 1 bunch salad turnips with green tops
- 1 head of escarole
- 1 napa cabbage
- 2 stalks green garlic
- garlic scapes
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 head red leaf lettuce

I had about two hours to cook and eat dinner and prep my CSA share, so time was key. I tried to stick to "recipes" that required very little prep time and minimal dish/pan use.

Spring onions were easy - I just chopped them up and tossed them in the freezer. I tend to do this even with store bought onions because I rarely use more than one at a time. Plus, whenever I need green onions and don't feel like running to the store for some, I can just pull these pre-sliced green onions out of the freezer and toss them into my ramen, eggs, stir fry, etc. Super easy!

I didn't have time to blanch and freeze my greens, so I figured I might as well just eat them. I washed the bok choy and turnip greens and stored them in the fridge so I could cook them tomorrow.

The turnips I snacked on as I was cooking. They were so good! Remember my moment of turnip-insecurity earlier? I'm happy to report that my turnips were delicious. I peeled them and just sliced off pieces to munch on. They tasted like an interesting combination of persimmons and radishes. The similarity to a radish, I totally get. Turnips are a root vegetable, like radishes. But persimmons?! Yeah...I don't know. But I swear, that's kind of what they tasted like...

I chopped up my escarole and sauteed it in a pan with some olive oil, green garlic, and garlic scapes. I sprinkled some red pepper flakes and salt over the top and voila! Dinner!

The napa cabbage was super easy. I sliced it in half and microwaved it for 6-7 minutes. After it was nicely steamed, I just ate it one piece at a time with some rice and gochujang. Also dinner! Om nom nom.

I sliced up the leftover garlic green stem/leaves and tried frying them up in a pan with some garlic scapes. I wasn't sure if this was going to work, since the stem leaves were awfully tough. I had to toss out the inner core, since it was as hard as a piece of wood. After the sliced garlic stem browned slightly, I added an egg and turned the whole thing into a frittata-omelette hybrid. More dinner! Turned out really good :D

The parsley I still don't know what to do with. I tossed some chopped up parsley into my eggs and added some to the escarole, but otherwise, I still have about 3/4 of the original bunch still sitting in my fridge...

The lettuce is going to have to wait until tomorrow. Maybe I'll wash it and turn it into a salad for lunch on Monday.

All in all, not bad for two hours, right? That includes time spent washing dishes that have accumulated in my apartment over the last week...haha...

Bug watch: This week was better than last week. No caterpillars! I only encountered one (already deceased) spider in my escarole as I was rinsing it. It was really small too. Not a problem, although I did make sure to wash each escarole leaf individually after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment