Tuesday, July 17, 2012

CSA Share #6

Apparently upstate NY is suffering the opposite problem of last year: not enough rain. Sadly, the sweet corn crop is one of the casualties, which is a bummer since there is really nothing better than a lovely corn on the cob sprinkled with a smidge of salt. Or just eaten plain.

On the bright side, the fruit shares are benefiting from the hot, dry weather. Too bad I didn't sign up for a fruit share...next year, perhaps? Those white nectarines I walked past during today's pickup smelled amazing.

Here's the roundup for this week:
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch carrots
- 2 kohlrabi
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 bunch sweet onions
- swiss chard
- 2 patty pan squash
- 1 golden zucchini

I'm steadily accumulating salad greens and lettuces in my fridge. I really should invest in a salad spinner for next season!

The carrots and patty pan squash are noticeably bigger than last week's version, but they are still super adorable. :)

CWTC: patty pan squash. I have a tender spot for these bright yellow zucchini-like vegetables. So good!
WTF: more broccoli? shit. haha.
TAV: kohlrabi. I've seen them before but I've never tried them. Apparently, they're like a cross between radishes, turnips and broccoli stems. I love radishes and turnips but broccoli stems are really not my thing. So...I suppose we'll find out how I feel about these vegetables this week. They do look fascinating though! I googled them and one person described them as "green Sputnik-like bulbs." Intriguing. I think I'll chop some up and try them raw as snacks, along with my carrots.

I still have garlic and cucumbers left from last week's share too. Cucumbers are good snack food. Garlic will keep forever, so I'm not in a hurry. I can probably saute the garlic with the onions and some eggs for a nice brunch this weekend. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment