Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chicago in NY: Snap Food Truck

My group at work loves food trucks. Loves. I was a bit wary at first. After all, who knows where that street meat's been? Or how long it's been there? Or where it's even from...? I wasn't so squeamish when I was younger and traveling around in places like rural Mexico (tacos de menudo) or the streets of Korea (boshintang), but now that I'm older, I know better. I know exactly why my food from a cart is so cheap: it's using cheap cuts of meat and cutting corners for the uneducated or simply indifferent consumer.

I resisted at first, but 8 months later, I have to admit I'm a convert. Food trucks are effing amazing! From Korilla to Luke's Lobster Rolls to grasshopper tacos and Coolhaus, there's no shortage of fun foods I want to try*. Still trying to save $$$ so I can do something cool later in my life, so my food truck expeditions are limited, but every now and then, a super cool truck comes along and I simply can't say no...

Earlier this week, one of my most die-hard food truck enthusiast coworkers yelled at me across the desk rows, "HEY! There's a truck with Chicago style hot dogs!"

Now, as you all know, I spent four years in the beautiful Windy City. Famous for all sorts of gut-busting noms like deep dish pizza, Chicago-style dogs, and steaks.

Sadly, deep dish pizza never quite did it for me. In my defense, I tried, I really did. I dutifully took all my out-of-towners to Uno's, Lou Malnati's and Giordano's. I always felt like I had an unpleasant cheese baby kicking its way through my stomach. No thanks - I'll take L'Asso over Giordano's any day.

However, Portillo's hot dogs are something else. Chicago-style dogs with the works (hold the onions)are so good, I wouldn't care if they were made with questionable meat cuts (which is good, since they probably are).

So when my coworker popped up gopher-style from behind her computer announcing Chicago-style dogs, my ears perked up right away.

Snap Food Truck. Coming soon to a city block near me. !!!

Snap owners

Interestingly, the owners (a married couple) are working to fuel their truck with biofuel (aka leftover french fry oil). Very cool. They haven't quite gotten off the ground yet, but when they do, I'll be the first in line.

Even more interesting - they source locally. Can't be easy. I admire their dedication and I can't wait to see and taste the end result.

For those of you who are curious, Snap is partnering with Dickson's Farmstand Meats and Karl Ehmer in Brooklyn for their grass-fed beef and all-beef hot dogs. (Yay! now I know where the mystery meat is coming from! +5 points for this alone). As for their pickles and cheese? The Bedford Cheese Shop in Brooklyn and artisanal pickles from Rick's Picks. Mmm.



I really hope Snap tastes as good as the picture above looks. Bonus points for cucumbers. If there's ketchup, I will smack someone on the head. You wouldn't put ketchup on your drunk chicken'n'rice would you!? So why the F would you put it on your perfectly good Chicago dog?! Yeah. What I thought. Omg...I'm getting hungry. Go support Snap on Kickstarter so they can launch their truck and drive it to a street corner nearby. I want my food!!!

Fueled by Fries: Kickstarter page for Snap

*Also helps a lot that some of my favorite NY restaurants get reviews from yelpers like "roaches in rice!" Still eat there, so can't really be elitist and snobby about food trucks anymore. Especially since the trucks look a lot cleaner. I also belatedly recalled that my favorite taco shop in Tucson had roach and rat issues too. Maybe roaches secrete MSG and we just didn't realize it yet? ERUGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment